Learn how to craft a cozy seating spot for your yard. (See below for a shopping list and tools.)
Click here to SUBSCRIBE to the official This Old House YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c...
How to Build a Cedar Bench: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=Pg-QH...
How to Attach a Trellis to a Concrete Wall: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=zcLZf...
How to Plant a Privacy Screen: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=9Nv9p...
Shopping List for How to Build an Arbor Bench:
All lumber listed is western red cedar.
- 2x4s. Get twelve 8-foot boards.
- 1x4s. Get at least four 8-foot boards.
- 1x2s. Get at least nine 8-foot boards.
- 2x6s. Get three 8-foot boards.
- 2x2s. Get two 8-foot boards or five 4-foot spindles for the purlins.
- 1/4-inch spacers, cut from scrap.
- Post anchors. Get four.
- Construction adhesive
- Stainless-steel trim-head screws. You need three sizes: 1 1/4 inch, 2 5/8 inch, and 3 inch.
Tools for How to Build an Arbor Bench:
- miter saw
- drill/driver and 1-inch paddle bit
- caulk gun
- 4-foot level
- combination square
- flexible curve to draw profile for rafter tails
Follow This Old House: